Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 2013

This month brings about a new excitement for me each year. The October after Lyra died, I was introduced to the art swaps involving the Day of the Dead theme. And I've loved it every single year, much to the concern and apprehension of most anyone I tell. "Skulls? the Dead?" You know, creepy things. *ha*

As in my previous post, this year involves twenty artists, and I'm already impatiently waiting for my package of art later this month. Patience is not my forte. But I'm thrilled to be a part of such a talented group of creative individuals. :D

Images of my own creation and of the beautiful ones I'll receive later will be put up later in the month.

----

And this month is commonly known as Breast Cancer Awareness month. Our town does a beautiful job of remembering and raising awareness regarding this particular cancer. I have never experienced breast cancer or a full blown diagnosis of a loved one, but I think on and remember those who have passed on or are currently dealing with this struggle.

But October is also Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. There are too many women who have dealt with a miscarriage, struggled through a stillbirth, and painfully remember an infant loss...but are their voices heard? Is there research happening regarding how to prevent the 26,000 stillbirths every year in the United States? The grief that comes after any of these experiences is unique and different, but a common bond for too many women across the globe.

So I think on that, and I think on ways to help raise awareness. I think on the women I've connected with, and speak baby names into our wild Kansas winds...driving their memories around the world, and up into the stars.

Sending love to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Hey you

    I think of you every day and in my mind there is a ticktockticktock as the minutes and hours and days go by and we are nearing lyra's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A glitch prevented me from signing the above xx ines

    ReplyDelete