Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Roundup

This is what we're supposed to do right? Reflect and acknowledge what this year gave to us? As if the clock turning 12am suddenly changes all the crappiness from the previous year to golden unicorn dust?

But it's obviously important, or else everyone wouldn't participate in it or wish for the next year to be better or set goals or feel renewed despite it taking 3 weeks to remember to write the new year correctly on forms, checks, etc.

Looking back on this year I see a lot of dreariness...a lot of grief fog, anger and anxiety. After hearing me wonder why I still struggle with _______ (fill in the blank with numerous options), my therapist gently reminds me that my baby died. That the grief from that will forever echo in my heart and my mind on a daily basis, though not always to the same depth of pain as the day after it happened....or 3 months ago...or today. Even 12 months out, she nudges me to face the grief still, and not sweep it under the rug like I feel like others are pushing me to do. I'm also not supposed to hide from the joys.

The joys have included finding other BLM's here in town, doing art and finding a community through Still Life 365 , participating in the Sketchbook Project , having family and friends mention Lyra's name or remember her, having a kitty who will cuddle up to me right when I need it, finding out Lyra would have a brother, and having a husband who has stuck with me despite the emotional roller coaster I've been (and continue to be).
----
In a nutshell, giving space for both the joys and grief to be apart of my life, and not caring what other people expect of me, is my goal for this next year.

To ramble, I hope to continue to do my art. I hope to bring home a live baby in the next month-ish.  I hope to hold a special place for Lyra as a part of our family in whatever scenario we find ourselves...to not hide or be ashamed because it's a taboo topic. I hope to do what is best for Lucas and Simon and I, even if friends or family are disappointed or don't understand. I hope to become more comfortable with this new me.
----
As cynical as I am at times, I do wish for golden unicorn dust...for this next year to be magically better for everyone. I know too many people who deserve it more than anything. So here's to 2011 and the hope that we can find ourselves less weighed down, and with so much more peace and strength than this past year.

10 comments:

  1. Magic unicorn dust would be nice, huh? Happy New Year, my friend. Emphasis on the happy.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also love the golden magical unicorn dust...sign me up please! You are absolutely one of the persons I am thankful for this year, thank you for allowing me to be my self with you and to share both the good and dark parts of me. Happy New Year my friend...looking forward to all of the good things that hopefully await us both in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love some magic to bring the new year to a new place. . .but that isn't going to happen for us either. Still there with ya, from one antagonist to another:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the same. Happy New Year friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. here here! cheers to you rachael xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your goal for 2011, but yep I'd love some of that golden unicorn dust too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing for unicorn dust for you and so many others. I imagine it is rainbow colored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's hoping you get a lovely 2011 with unicorn-dust, happiness and shitty diapers (cause in our world, that's considered good news).

    All the best to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish for it so much... but I am finding it really hard to see through this grief and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is an intense year you have been through - and are still gong through.
    the dreariness makes total sense. I admire SO much that you are still able to even **think** of noticing the joys amidst the pain. Let alone actually being able to think of more than one.
    I love your goal for the next year. I think it's so healthy and so real.
    I also love the magical unicorn dust wishes - I join you in wishing them for everyone as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete